8 Reasons Why Running Friends Rock!

Hello!

Happy day to you!

For many, many years I considered myself a solo runner.

I was very uncomfortable with the idea of running with another person.

I ran by myself, I went to races by myself, and I went to expos by myself.

I thrived on the idea that I didn’t need anyone, and that I was “strong” enough to do it all on my own.

Then I got involved in social media and blogging…

Aaaaaaannnnd my running world quickly expanded.

I realized how much MORE (as if that was even possible) I enjoyed running- knowing that I had other like-minded people to talk to and share my running life with.

A few years later, I met my best friend, who is a triathlete and late last year, I met and developed friendships (thank you social media) with my BRFs, SLOLuckyRuns and SlackerRunner.

I must say the addition of these friends made all the difference in my life.

I feel connected to the world again, and love being involved in something bigger than myself.

I have running friends who care about me, and whom I care for very much (even if I haven’t met some of them!).

487949_4885924680461_1800520290_n

Here are  8 Reasons Why Running Friends Rock!

1. They make you want to run! Running with my BRFs is my new social hour(s). We had a long run scheduled this weekend and talked the whole dang time. It was so much fun, and didn’t even feel like a long run!
  2. You don’t ever have to run alone… unless you want to, of course. Whether you are doing a 16 mile long run, or 3 miles around the block- you always have a friend to help you take your mind off of the grind.
  3. They love to brunch (atleast mine do) and eat all the food. Fact: Runners love food. Fact: Runners love to brunch, especially after long runs and races. Brunching has been and always will be my favorite meal of the day…and obviously, I love running so, it’s a perfect combination!
  4. They’re supportive. Running friends understand what it’s like to accomplish a long run, set a new personal record or finish a marathon. And it’s always nice to have their support!
    5. You get to meet an awesome variety of people. Running friends come in all shapes, sizes and ages and in all honesty, none of it matters. All that matters is that you run and you are automatically accepted into the crew.
    6. Running friends love to talk about running. My non-running friends might listen to me talk about running for about 5 minutes, but after that they begin to get that glazed look in their eyes. Running friends can talk about running all day, every day.

7. You have someone to enjoy races with. This is a given. Racing with your BRFs is  automatically a party, especially if it is in costume (aka. Rock n’ Roll Los Angeles). You have someone to go to the expo with, take selfies and (of course) enjoy the finish line festival with.
    8. They WANT you to post on social media. After my week long hiatus from blogging and social media (thank you vacation), my friends were like, “What the heck?!?! We wanted to know how your running is going.” I mean come on… if this isn’t support I don’t know what is!

Cheers to BRFs everywhere!

Do you have a Running Friend that you want to show some love to?  Tag them in the comments and let them know they rock!

Let’s connect!

http://latest.thechromenews.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/twitter-icon3.png https://i0.wp.com/www.radiomaria.it/Data/Sites/1/instagram.jpg

19 thoughts on “8 Reasons Why Running Friends Rock!

1. littlemrs29 says:

I’ve been running a year and do it all alone, very occasionally someone at work comes out with me at lunch. I joined a run faster group which I love but I’m too quiet to ask anyone to go for a run out with the group time – so that leaves me with social media. Hoping it grows as I love reading (and posting) about it all!

2. HikingPhotog says:

I’ve also always been a solo runner (with my pup tagging along occasionally). Just recently joined one of the local running clubs in my area but unfortunately my schedule this week didn’t allow me to meet up at any of their scheduled runs. Looking forward to my first group run next week, and hopefully making some new running friends.

3. Yoni says:

I started out running alone (and I still enjoy my solo runs). My schedule is hectic and trying to plan around it makes it difficult to join others. I love the friends I’ve made through running including my very best friend, Lorena, who likes to run at odd times and is always up for an adventure. Races often turn into social hours with my running family!

4. prairieprincessrunners says:

I’m jealous. My running friends all live in different cities/countries. The one running friendship I had locally turned sour. I’ve sorta wanted to join a group but the times they run never work for my schedule. 😐 So bummed. I almost want to start my own club. lol.

• RatherBeRunnin' says:

You should! I posted on craigslist a few years back to start a group. It was fun! But also, look on social media to find runner friends in your area. Thats how I met the ones I have now!

5. The Runnin' Major says:

I’m still in train-alone mode. It’s not so much that I don’t want to run with others – my schedule just doesn’t allow. Even my weekends are hit-and-miss, in terms of knowing in advance when I can run.

That said, I love the running community. The support you get, even from strangers, is fantastic. I’m finding that I love the running blogosphere, too. Lots of great info, inspiration and support!

6. Kate @ Did That Just Happen? says:

I don’t have any runner friends in real life, but have found some great online friends and created a wonderful support village! Well, maybe not a village… But a couple of us at least make a household, right? Lol. Great list, I’ve been considering (after graduation) participating in my local athlete store’s runner club…. It’s a scary proposition!

• RatherBeRunnin' says:

You should totally do it Kate! Don’t be afraid to get out of your comfort zone and meet some people IRL. Although I totally appreciate your support and our friendship over the interwebs!!