Happy day to you!
For many, many years I considered myself a solo runner.
I was very uncomfortable with the idea of running with another person.
I ran by myself, I went to races by myself, and I went to expos by myself.
I thrived on the idea that I didn’t need anyone, and that I was “strong” enough to do it all on my own.
Then I got involved in social media and blogging…
Aaaaaaannnnd my running world quickly expanded.
I realized how much MORE (as if that was even possible) I enjoyed running- knowing that I had other like-minded people to talk to and share my running life with.
I must say the addition of these friends made all the difference in my life.
I feel connected to the world again, and love being involved in something bigger than myself.
I have running friends who care about me, and whom I care for very much (even if I haven’t met some of them!).
Here are 8 Reasons Why Running Friends Rock!
- They make you want to run! Running with my BRFs is my new social hour(s). We had a long run scheduled this weekend and talked the whole dang time. It was so much fun, and didn’t even feel like a long run!
- You don’t ever have to run alone… unless you want to, of course. Whether you are doing a 16 mile long run, or 3 miles around the block- you always have a friend to help you take your mind off of the grind.
- They love to brunch (atleast mine do) and eat all the food. Fact: Runners love food. Fact: Runners love to brunch, especially after long runs and races. Brunching has been and always will be my favorite meal of the day…and obviously, I love running so, it’s a perfect combination!
- They’re supportive. Running friends understand what it’s like to accomplish a long run, set a new personal record or finish a marathon. And it’s always nice to have their support!
5. You get to meet an awesome variety of people. Running friends come in all shapes, sizes and ages and in all honesty, none of it matters. All that matters is that you run and you are automatically accepted into the crew.
6. Running friends love to talk about running. My non-running friends might listen to me talk about running for about 5 minutes, but after that they begin to get that glazed look in their eyes. Running friends can talk about running all day, every day.
7. You have someone to enjoy races with. This is a given. Racing with your BRFs is automatically a party, especially if it is in costume (aka. Rock n’ Roll Los Angeles). You have someone to go to the expo with, take selfies and (of course) enjoy the finish line festival with.
8. They WANT you to post on social media. After my week long hiatus from blogging and social media (thank you vacation), my friends were like, “What the heck?!?! We wanted to know how your running is going.” I mean come on… if this isn’t support I don’t know what is!
Cheers to BRFs everywhere!
Do you have a Running Friend that you want to show some love to? Tag them in the comments and let them know they rock!