The holidays are upon us my friends.
Did you know that the average weight gain between Thanksgiving and New Years is 4 to 5 pounds?
It seems almost inevitable that we overeat too often and exercise too little during this time of the year!
I have devised a list of tips and tricks you can use to stave off the holiday pounds.
- Put together an exercise/running plan ahead of time. Preparation is key here. Having a plan will help you stick with your routine.
- Seek consistency, not perfection. The holidays are filled with unexpected visitors, events and parties. Chances are you won’t have the ability/time to be as disciplined as you were during the year, which is totally okay!
- Keep a pair of running shoes and a set of clothes in your car. Try to fit a workout in whenever you can: before you go to the grocery store, while your tires are being rotated, or on your lunch break. This is a great way to save some time during your hectic day.
- Find an exercise challenge to participate in. Check out Coach Jenny’s Holiday Challenge, or the RunToTheFinish #HolidaySweat Challenge. Or better yet, grab a buddy and create your own!
- Sign up for a TurkeyTrot or a JingleBell Run. This is a great motivator to stay in shape and burn some extra calories.
- Get it out of the way. As we all know, the holidays are filled with distractions. Do yourself a favor and workout in the morning before your plans have a chance to be derailed.
- Mix it up. Try a new workout class, go for a walk with your kids, or hop a bike. Finding new ways to work out will make exercising over the holidays much more interesting and exciting.
- Only got 10 minutes? Go run a mile, do a HIIT workout, or some yoga. Exercising for 10 minutes is wayyyyyy better than doing nothing at all.