Why I Run.

On Tuesday, I posted about how people think I am crazy when I tell them how far I ran,

Well today I want to talk about why I run.

I think everyone has their own reasons for starting…

3316_1056579655189_7847585_nThis is me back in 2008 with my younger sister, before I started running.

4236_1060015741089_1356195_nThis is me in 2009, before my fourth 10K.

Wanting to lose weight played a huge role in why I started, but it has become so much more than that.

I found that the more I ran, the more I wanted to run.

I grabbed a hold of me in a way that no other sport ever has (and I swam competitively and played water polo in college).

I began to identify myself as a runner.

I might not have been the fastest, but I ran gosh darn it, I ran.

I then decided to train for a marathon.

The task seemed so daunting and so impossible, but yet at the same time possible and attainable.

14555_1163859097108_1556802_nThis is me finishing the 2009 Two Cities Marathon in Fresno, Ca.

I did it!

And that was it. After that race, I was hooked.

Running was officially my “thing”.

Even to this day, people still ask me why I do it. Here is a short list ofΒ  the reasons why I run:

1. Because I am a runner and that’s what runners do.
  2. Because the feeling of completing a race is amazing.
  3. Because I want to treat my body with the respect it deserves.
  4. Because I like to set goals and then achieve them.
  5. Because I like to do things most people could never dream of.
  6. Because I like to push myself.
  7. Because I like the looks I get when I tell people I ran a marathon or a half marathon
  8. Because running makes everything in my life seem better.
  9. Because I love to be able to shut my brain off and run.
  10. Because I feel so much better after I run.
  11. Because I like to compete with myself and others.
  12. Because I will settle for nothing less than being the best I can be, running is no different.
  13. Because I am proud of myself and of my achievements.
  14. Because I love a challenge.
  15. As much as I hate getting up in the morning, a early run is the most peaceful time of day.
  16. Because it fuels my life.
  17. Because a Runner’s High is legit.
  18. Because running is where I connect with God.
  19. Because it has changed me to see the person I want to be and become it.
  20. Because it makes me happy.
  21. If I didn’t run, what else would I do?

I honestly think I could go on, and on, and on, but….

imagesWhy do you run?

Can you relate to my list?

Has running changed you? If so, how?

46 thoughts on “Why I Run.

1. Darren Green says:

I’m running because I used to enjoy it (though never did more than a ten mile race) and now mostly to get healthier and lose weight. I know other runners but they are all so far ahead of me; I enjoy the humanity of your blogs.

2. Pippa @ Mind, Body, Work, Travel says:

I love this list! Especially the last one. When I first got injured and wasn’t allowed to run (or do any other form of exercise) I was like what the hell do I do with my life? I started running because I was a student and it was cheap- I couldn’t afford a gym membership. But it’s grown into such a passion of mine, and I’ve met so many amazing people through it, that I couldn’t imagine giving up. It’s SO much more than exercise.

I got asked the other day why I ran so much. My response was “because I enjoy it.” No muss, no fuss, just a nice simple reason. I mean obviously there are so many reasons why I run, but as long as I’ve got that one, I’ll keep going! πŸ˜€

3. Joseph says:

I just started running and a few days without a run makes you feel like your missing someone so important you haven’t met. The feeling of your shoe hitting the tarmac or the course seems to be a high on its own!! Cheers!! Run Long and Run Strong!!

4. Amanda Ross says:

I really enjoyed reading your story! Running has absolutely changed me, in every sense of the word. It has brought me up from my lowest lows and humbled me when I was a little too full of it. It has challenged me to push beyond and reminded me when I need to slow it down. It has shaped me in many ways, and has developed a different kind of strength within my mind. A strength of balance, I would say. I have some fitness posts as well, and more to come, that you may enjoy since you’re also a runner. Check it out πŸ™‚

5. Autumn says:

I LOVE this post and I totally identify with all of it. I especially agree with the idea that the more I run the more I want to run! Runners high IS legit, and so is the awesomeness of achieving goals and it was so great when I finally started to feel like a runner.

6. klmv says:

I feel like I can’t even comment, because there really isn’t much to say besides how much I *love* this post and how much I can relate to it. πŸ™‚

I honestly think that you need to be a runner to get why we run. Why we continuously push our bodies to their limits, why we keep coming back and back after injuries and forced pauses and why we continue to run with a smile on our faces even when sometimes it feels like your body is fighting you every step of the way.

Or maybe that’s just me. πŸ˜‰

7. thetraillesstraveled says:

The reasons why I run have evolved just as much how fast I run. I used to run to belong to a team. I used to run so that I could be faster and be thought of as an athlete. I used to run to avoid the “freshman 15” in college. I run now so I can keep up with my toddler rather than watch him on the sidelines. I run now so that I don’t feel that extra jiggle when I jog up the stairs. I run now so that I can complete my first marathon and truly feel like I accomplished something great.

8. olivetorun says:

COMPLETELY agree with “Because I like the looks I get when I tell people I ran a marathon or a half marathon” it’s quite hilarious!
    Also, it is where/when I check in with God too!

9. My Pajama Days says:

I started running less than 5 years ago when I started coaching Girls on the Run. There weren’t enough parent volunteers to run a program at my daughter’s school, so I volunteered. Finishing my first 5k was one of the most amazing feelings, and I have played the oboe professionally for years so I am no stranger to adrenaline rushes. But this was different. I coached for three years and then ran my first 10k and half marathon last year. Although I haven’t run much this year, I definitely still see myself as “a runner”. Great post!

10. OneMotherofaDay says:

I love it!! I run because I love a challenge. I run because I love to push myself and see what I really am capable of. I run because I love testing my limits. I run because I love setting goals for myself and then actually accomplishing my goals. I could go on and on….

11. Ja @Ja on the RUN says:

Great post! I love your list of why you run! I made a post too about why I run on my blog.
    Happy Running!

I know that last pic “aint nobody got time for that”. That video is hilarious! πŸ™‚

12. jamhunt says:

I love that – legit high! Ha!
    I’m not a religious person but tbh running makes me feel closer to god! It’s strange and it feels so good, most satisfying thing in the world and you don’t have to share it with anyone else! πŸ™‚
    Great post!

13. Maggie Franks says:

I love leaving the world behind when I go out on a run. I love that you said you weren’t the fastest because I am the same way! Just because I’m not fast doesn’t mean I am not a runner. So inspirational!

14. Julia says:

Yes…I do relate to your list! I find my reasons have changed in time. Currently…I run because I never want to go back to who I was before I started. Winning. πŸ™‚

15. runnergirl44 says:

Like you, I could go on and on as to why I run…although I feel like people who don’t run don’t get it. They just politely nod and smile when I talk about running! And yes, running changed my entire life, both physically, mentally, spiritually, etc…I LOVE it!

16. Ashley says:

Runners high is SO legit. I totally agree that the more I run the more I want to run. After I have a fantastic run, there’s nothing I want more than to achieve that feeling again. When I have a crap run, all I want to do is run again to prove to myself that the dumb run was a fluke and that I can improve.

17. Ani Danelz says:

Fantastic list! My mama got me running about a year ago after I had gained the infamous freshman 10 (thankfully not any more). I had been active in high school and running was simply another outlet. Now I am proud to say I am addicted and will be completing my first half and full marathon this year!! Here’s to runners!