People think I am crazy!

People think I am crazy!!!

Not like steal your baby, kind of crazy…

Scary-Jareth-Hello-Giggles-Santina-Muha-350x239

More like, you must have eaten too many paint chips as a kid, kind of crazy…

tommy-boy

when I tell then how many miles I ran.

It is pretty funny to see their reactions!

Seriously.

Today was one of those days where I was a multi-tasking machine!

Robot

That was me… only I definitely did NOT look as cute.

I decided to get my car serviced and while that was being done, I went for a run.

Genius right?!?!

ec902e361ae65582648cefd3edd69206

I know.

As I walked back in the door to get my car, a couple asked me how far I ran.

It had only been 25 minutes, so I said

“Oh, only three miles”

and they both almost fell out of their chairs!

tumblr_lx858aothN1r1te38o1_400

I laughed and went on my merry, sweaty way.

Then!

I went to go get gas and some quarters to finish up my laundry (remember, I am a multi-tasking machine!).

The guy at the register asked me the same question,

“How many miles did you run?”

I followed with the same answer,

“Oh, only three miles”.

Same reaction.

ohmygosh

People think I am crazy!

I should have followed each one up by saying,

“If you think that’s far, I ran 14 miles last Sunday!”

But then we might have had some people in the hospital.

Hospital

And we don’t want that.

Personally, I think all these non-runners are the crazy ones..

I Don't Run

Not us!

Do people think you are crazy?

Do they have the same reaction when you tell them how far you ran?

56 thoughts on “People think I am crazy!

1. Missg33k says:

I had to comment because David Bowie !!! I just love Labyrinth :).

On the subject, I’m still new to running (and exercising for that matter) but I already think that I’m crazy for putting my body through all of this even if I feel so much better and so proud after ! And I’m pretty sure some people that I know call me crazy behind my back but who cares !
    As long as we’re happy doing it I don’t see any reason to stop.

2. saulbee says:

One of the things that kept me running when I started was other peoples reactions, especially at work. I used to go out and do something between 4 and 6 miles before work and take delight in the warm glow of smug I felt when I told the person on reception as I went in. There were some I used to take greater delight in telling because I knew that they thought they were fit, but there was no way they could keep up. Only one person there understood my running, and he was a patient….

I was working in a mental health unit.

3. seefleckrun says:

As a crazy runner who’s known for doing her 20 milers before breakfast… I can relate 1000000000000% to this. I absolutely love how you fit your run between errands, though. That is fantastic AND practical!!! šŸ™‚

4. Rebecca Royy says:

So true! People ask how far I normally go in a run. And about die when I tell them. I’ve gotten to where I really enjoy these reactions! It makes me feel like a super hero!

5. Mariajose says:

Haha, some people think I’m crazy. But most recently, I did a stair climb and I had to go up 54 flights of stairs. I was giving my cousin a ride and he just kept asking me why I would do that? And he played sports in high school (volleyball, basketball and football) yet he’s calling me crazy lol
    My mom also thought I was crazy when I showed her what I was doing for a mud run lol

6. Ashley says:

LOVE this. Usually I answer any thing under 5 with “only __” and people are like ONLY? That’s seriously one of my favorite things I feel so cool

Liked by 2 people

7. Dawn H. says:

yup, my mother-in-law (whom I LOVE) thinks I’m a little crazy. she keeps telling me to be careful, running will result in serious injury, lol. i dunno how to tell her that i want to run 2 marathons next year…

8. Eribis says:

yes definitely. but not only because of running.
    i can see why those people thought 3 was a lot. i used to be one of those people. now i some times feel like 3 isn’t even worth my time compared to how many I have done.

9. Emily says:

This is totally off topic. But I love this post and it made me think of this story: Long story short, I was volunteering at a race as a course marshal that I had to sit out of b/c of injury. I was talking to this guy who was definitely hitting on me and he was also a runner (I am single so this could have been good except I thought he was gay when I first me him, but that’s another story). We started talking about why we loved running and our longest distance so far. I sheepishly said the farthest I had run (by April 27) was ONLY 13.5 miles (I was hoping to be closer to 18 at that point), he started guffawing and said his was a mile. That was the end of anything that could have been.

Judge me, don’t judge me – but I need someone who has the same endurance as me.

Liked by 2 people

10. tribalancegirl says:

Ummm.. yes all the time. I also love the fact that you said cray cray. That is one of the funniest sayings and I say it all the time. Of course people thing you’re crazy or jealous of your sweet multitasking skills. Either way…get it girl! Doesn’t it feel good to get things done and get a workout in. THE BEST! Have a cray cray Sunday. P.S. I saw the bloody mary pic from my vacation the other day… sigggghhhhh!

Heck yes, I love multi-tasking. It is my specialty! I miss bloody marys. I haven’t drank in over 2 weeks.. not that I have a drinking problem or anything, but knowing that you can’t do something sometimes makes you want to do it even more. LOL. Siiigggghhhhhhh.

11. OneMotherofaDay says:

I get very similar reactions. Everyone that knows me knows that I run and when they ask me how many I ran on Sunday for my long run and tell them 8 miles. They look at me like I have a 3rd eye on my forehead. And they really think I’m crazy when I run my half marathons. I have actually inspired a few of my friends to start running and one of them is going to register for her first half in October! I guess it does pay off to be that crazy friend who runs all the time because then they turn into that person too.

12. PDX Running Chick says:

I get this frequently. I ran 24 miles last Saturday and felt so amazing afterwards people kept asking me what I had been doing. I would say “I went trail running!” and leave it that. I’d only tell them how far if they asked and then I would get the looks and silly comments like “and you can still walk?!” I always say “you should try it!”

13. klmv says:

If you ask me, running crazy is the best kind of crazy. šŸ™‚

And I just had this conversation the other day when introduced to a new person:

New person, “So X mentioned you like to run. Me too.”

“Awesome! Where do you run?”

“Just around my house. I try to get a couple kilometres once or twice a week. So how much do you run?”

“Um. I’m training for my first marathon at the moment, and I’m running a half marathon in a month.”

“Oh, WOW. What’s that? Like ten kilometres? So how much do you run normally? Five? Six? You find the time for that? That’s pretty insane.”

“Um. Er. It’s a bit more than that. The half marathon is 21 and my training plan has me running hour plus runs every weekend. ”

Silence. “Aaah.”

And then she just stared at me for a bit. šŸ˜€

14. runnergurrl says:

Yeah I get that a lot. When I tell my kids that i “only” ran xx miles, their reply is, “Do you hear yourself right now?” Oh well, runners are a good kind of crazy, right?

Absolutely. To me, three miles is me not wanting to work very hard… so I think its great that people practically fall over when I tell them that thats how far I ran. šŸ™‚ LOVE IT!

15. unsportywomencanrun says:

Even the cows out in the country think I’m crazy, they follow me along the fence line as I run. As for the farmers and farm hands I run by, they shake their heads. I like to think that they are amazed and impressed hehe But they probably think I am just plain nuts.

• amandakhootman says:

@Running for the Prize: Aw cool, you’re doing the Dopey Challenge at Disney?

I got a similar look when I told the dude fitting me for my running shoes how many km I was logging as a first-timer! Started training a couple of weeks ago and my “long” weekly runs have been 15k. šŸ™‚

I don’t think it is insane, I think it is awesome and I commend you for your kick A$$ness! I would love to do the Dopey challenge. It is on my “list” and I will definitely do it one of these days. šŸ™‚ Great work!