Injuries, Dissapointment and Re-Evaluation.

I am currently on day 5 of no running or working out because my back STILL hurts.

This is so dang true right now.

Today is National Running Day, in case you weren’t aware.

Are you celebrating National Running Day?

If you aren’t you should at least run a mile for meeeeee!

This is so true for me right now.

I have been alternating ice and heat, taking aleve and trying to rest it.

But it still hurts, A LOT.

So, unfortunately, I have to back out of the See Jane Run half marathon that is this weekend.

I am pretty bummed about it.

Anyone want to run it for me?

I am also re-evaluating running theΒ Montecito-Summerland Half Marathon next month as well.

I just don’t know how taking this much time off is going to affect my training.

But, I am probably thinking too far ahead.

On a side note, I have watched more TV in the last 5 days than I have in the last few months.

That is not a joke.

I stayed home from work yesterday and re-watched almost every episode of Parks and Rec AND How I Met Your Mother on Netflix.

I am SO lazy!

But, such is life.

Sometimes you get injured.

Right?

Right!

Once I am healed though, I will remember how miserable I was when I was injured.

Hopefully it will help me appreciate running even more.

Life could always be worse.

Way, way worse.

And, I have a lot to be thankful for!

So I am going to focus on that and not on how much my back hurts.

Β I am going to leave you on a happy note and try to be positive!

Β This is awesome and so true!

Party on Wayne, Party on Garth!

Did you celebrate National Running Day?

Did you run a mile for me? If you do, I will be your best friend!!!

Do you like Wayne’s World?

How about How I Met Your Mother?

Happy Hump Day!

51 thoughts on “Injuries, Dissapointment and Re-Evaluation.

1. Mariajose says:

Sorry about your back. When it’s pain that bad for me I usually head out to the chiropractor for alignment and I’m ready to go. Hope you feel better soon

2. David Lawrence says:

The first poster is so true! That happened to me all the time especially when I was recovering from pneumonia and had to miss a 5K. You will get better! Here’s to a speedy recovery.

3. theblacktoe says:

Hang in there. I strained a calf in April and missed my favorite half marathon Avenue of the Giants in early May, then when I thought I was crawling back this month, I have strained my other calf. I get stressed, but realize life is like a marathon, or at least a half marathon, and better to be patient and give you body time it wants to heal. (Of course, in the meantime, I have nothing to blog about so it is somewhat of a double whammy.) Good luck, don’t despair.
    Jim

I totally know what you are going through Jim and I am so sorry that you are going through so much! Keep up the positive thoughts and I hope that you too will be healed soon πŸ™‚

4. Stephanie@nowiun.com says:

I’ve never seen How I Met Your Mother (but I love Wayne’s World!).
    It is so sad to hear that your back isn’t improving. You’re making the right decision. You have to take care of yourself, right? I’m sure it’s hard, though…

5. Dawn H. says:

oh no 😦 you WILL get better, and you will appreciate running that much more! also, tv recommendations – Mindy Project is funny, and I like Up All Night too. hang in there!!

I haven’t seen Up All Night since the first season, but now that you mention it… I will go watch it when I get home and I will definitely check out The Mindy Project. THANKS!

6. CourtLeanne @princessandthejog says:

Aw you poor thing – get better soon! I ran 4 miles for NRD, even though it was disgusting out here in Central Florida. I still enjoyed every mile. I know how you feel though, when I am unable to run for whatever the reason, I always feel like its the end of the world. My boyfriend made fun of me the other night because I had been putting off running all day, but knowing I would get to it that night, and then around 6:00 we went under a tornado warning so I was stuck inside – I was literally close to tears. I think my boyfriend was convinced there was more to it, but I was really just sad about not being able to run that day. Anyway, hope you get back on your feet soon!

7. K. (@running_kmlv) says:

That sucks. :/ But let’s hope for a speedy recovery and sometimes a bit of time off is exactly what your body needs.

I definitely can relate — two weeks away from my *first* half marathon and I get heel pain. I don’t want to name it because I’m afraid I know what it is, so I’m just icing, stretching, massaging… and still running.

I know. I know. But. It doesn’t hurt when I *run*. Only hurts in the mornings and whenever I walk.

I’ll probably just start my half marathon taper earlier than planned and then go run it anyway. And take a break after that. (Unless the pain magically disappears! Yes, prettyplease, yes.)

The first card made me laugh though! πŸ˜€ That’s exactly what I feel when I see someone running. Even if I *have* already run that day. πŸ˜›

8. kennygump says:

sorry i cannot run for you. or me. plantar fasciitis is still kicking me in the heel! i NEED it to go away, like 2 weeks ago! but yes, such is life. and i will forever be grateful when i can run again. the past 4 weeks have been looong.
    how i met your mother = wonderful!
    wayne’s world = i keep telling my husband we are renting this movie. i keep quoting it. it’s time to watch it again!

9. willbfit says:

I really hope you feel better soon! I ran my usual 3.1 today, and I happily dedicate a mile to you! Happy national running day!

10. arunningdaydream says:

I can totally relate! I’ve been sick for a week & missed my half I have been training for too. It really bummed me out, but I keep saying there will be more πŸ™‚ Those ecards are exactly how I feel, cracked me up! I hope you get better soon!

11. Jen says:

I feel your pain. Actually, I feel my own pain, so we’re in the same boat. It sucks to be benched. 😦 Hope you feel better soon.

12. Zaneta says:

Here here on the appreciating running TONS more after my knee pain heals up!
    Sorry to hear that you had to back out of ur half! 😦 if I were you, I would wait to see if you start feeling better before you make a decision about next month’s race! Get better quickly!

13. Jennifer says:

I feel your pain albeit in a different part of my body. Day 13 for me. Question – What did you do at Crossfit? Kettlebell swings? Those are notorious for making backs hurt. Hope you’re back out there soon!

– Jennifer πŸ™‚