How running has changed my life.

Image

I came across this picture on Pinterest and it struck a cord within me. This quote is so incredibly true, for me and for so many others. Running can truly change your life, as it changed mine over five years ago, in an incredible way. When I started this journey, I was an evening smoker, an occasional gym go-er, an unhealthy eater, about 50 lbs overweight and was an extremely depressed/unhappy person. I was lazy, bored and unfocused.

I started out slow… walking mainly, followed by slow jogs. I gained momentum and confidence. I started losing weight and then everything changed. I started exercising regularly, attempted to start eating better and eventually quit smoking.

Running grabbed a hold of me, in a way that nothing had prior. I felt like I found myself. This was who I was, I was a runner.

I realized that I didn’t have to join a club, wear fancy clothes, buy expensive shoes… I just had to go out and run. Running became a friend, a dependable friend that I could turn to when I was sad, happy, stressed, tired, or angry. There was no membership, no qualifying time, no specific distance I had to run before I was in the “club”- I just had to do it.

Five years later, my love for running is still going strong. I have ran a 5K, 4 10Ks, 3 Half Marathons and a full marathon. In two weeks, I will do my very first triathlon; something I never dreamed I could accomplish. I have also committed to running 5 half marathons this year; another goal I never thought possible 5 years ago.

If you are a runner, you know what I am saying with every ounce of your being. Welcome to the club! If you see me running on the road, give me the “runner wave” because you and I know that we share something special.

I lift my water bottle and say “Cheers!”… TO RUNNING!

-RatherBeRunnin

20 thoughts on “How running has changed my life.

1. ashmeisel91 says:

Thank you for this post. It is another form of inspiration for me to begin running. I am very excited and this has made me even more excited. I am overweight and have a ton of health problems. I recently went vegan and that helped a ton but it isn’t enough. My friends and I are about to join this club.

Absolutely! I was there once, and definitely have a way to go… I don’t look like the typical twig runner and never have. But, I get out there every day and I bust my butt. You can do it!

2. eacieri says:

Love this! I am a runner. Still early in my life transformation but I keep at it. Slow and steady.

My inspiration is a man I see everyday, rain or shine, as I drive home from work. He must be in his 70s (at least) and he’s running. I go home. I pull out the running shoes and try to catch up.

3. Warsaw’s Secret Blog says:

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I, too, have been a runner for nearly 12 years now, but I have never really loved to run. To me running is hard and I’m really slow but – I continue on, and it has grown on me to such a point that I can’t imagine my life without running. Sort of like love that has aged and matured – it becomes a part of you.

I agree! I think that’s what’s so special about running, it just kind of grabs you and takes a hold of you. At least that’s what happened to me anyway I started walking one day, eventually started running and the rest is history. Now ident for half marathons and a full marathon and I’m absolutely hooked on it, obsessed with it, and in love with it! I love it. I’m glad to see that you have Learned to appreciate it!

This is so true. That I think, is the greatest thing about running… only runners get it. There is no initiation, no time limit, nothing… if you run, you are a runner and we all have an immense amount of respect for one another.

4. Jim Brennan says:

I know exactly what you are saying. You are a runner. The best thing is that it will be with you forever. My son talked me into my first tri this year, and i’ll be 60 next year. There really are no limits, and slow is a go. Congrats!

Thanks again Jim! I actually did my first tri this year and realized how MUCH I love running through that event. It was weird, but I appreciated my love for the sport through realizing how much I disliked cycling. Ha! Thanks for checking out my blog and commenting. I really appreciate it 🙂

5. Eating well in 2013 says:

Hi! Great post, very inspiring and I can only agree with it. I was the same, not living a very healthy life, eating a bit of junk food, never exercising, a little overweight, etc. And when I started running, it made me happier, showed me how whatever you think is too hard, probably isn’t. And more importantly, it gave me strength for more challenges. It’s really something that is difficult to understand unless you experience it I think. Let’s keep on running! Life’s good 🙂 (P.s: I wrote about it on my blog: How running became possible. http://eatingwellin2013.wordpress.com/2013/02/16/how-running-became-possible/ )
    Thanks for writing this very positive post! Alix

Hi Alix. Thanks so much for liking and reading my blog. I am so glad you stopped by and actually enjoyed what you were reading. I hope to inspire others to run through this blog! I love yours as well and I am not following you. I can’t wait to read more of your content. 🙂

-Ashley